Hi! Sorry it has, once again, been so long. Mea Culpa! I DO think this faster computer, once I realize just how much easier it is to use, will get me here writing to you much more often. For today, I am not even taking the time to get up and grab my camera to upload more pictures. I just wanted to share a very little story with you, now that my god-daughter Mary's birthday has come and gone. For her birthday, after Therese received such a wonderful gift package on her birthday picked out special just for her from Mary, both kids were excited to find some very special things for Mary on her birthday. Here, without any prompting from mom, is what they excitedly chose to give to Mary:
For any of you who know my kids, most of these chosen gifts were actually very special to my munchkins. In fact, these ducks were a frequently requested item to join my son in bed at night - and one of them was very recently received as a gift! I admit that my immediate reaction to seeing their choices was to try and encourage them to find something "a little less special" for Mary. But, luckily, last year I read a wonderful book by Jesus Urteaga named God and Children. I will quote you directly from the book here -
Some years ago during the Christmas holidays I took a group of boys to a priest's house, and each boy brought along some present or other. This priest had organized a Christmas party and would give out the presents to those children whom Santa Claus did not visit because they were very poor. One of the boys who came with me was very sad-looking because he had wanted to give his latest model train, but his mother at the last moment - such was her generosity! - had sent instead an old ragged doll. I remember that good priest taking the presents and thanking the boys, with these words that really touched their hearts: 'I thank you very sincerely, because with these toys of yours you are going to make many other children happy.'
Thank you, Lord, for making my children generous... they sure didn't get it from me!
Love, Me


No comments:
Post a Comment